The day started like any other. The kids woke and were hungry. In their words, STARVING! That day I decided to make them their favorite breakfast, baked oatmeal. All was well. It was a great morning. The kids were listening. Eager to start school. Z was practicing piano. Monkey boy was on the computer working on phonics. L and ladybug were kind of roaming.
At 9:45 L came into the dining room, where we have school, and said, "Mommy there's a fire in the bathroom." I didn't jump right away. I just looked at him, making sure I heard correct. He looked at me, eyes wide, "Mommy you have to go see the fire in the bathroom!" All said in a calm manner.
A fire? There wasn't a candle burning in the bathroom? A fire?
As I turned the corner, I saw the orange- yellow glow. A fire? What were the kids doing? Playing with matches? No, we don't have matches. I looked behind the door. A FIRE!!!! On the clothes, going up the wall. I quickly tried to smother it out, using a blanket that we got as a wedding gift. It was the closest thing. That didn't work.
A fire extinguisher! We have one! Try figuring out how to use one in the middle of a fire! ( I now know that it was faulty anyway)
WATER! Duh! I get a bowl and go to the kitchen sink filling the bowl with water. There is water in the bathroom! I'll just get it there. By the time I went to the bathroom with the water, the fire was crawling up the wall and was now dancing on the ceiling. The bowl dropped to the floor. I scooped ladybug into my arms.
I need to call 911, where is my phone!? I can't find my phone!
We all ran outside! Shoeless, coat less! Running to safety. I ran to the neighbor who called 911 for me. I was beside myself. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to act. I was shocked.
We all went to another neighbors as everyone started to gather at the house. The kids were safe inside, warming. I was outside on the porch watching. Something I'll never forget.
Black smoking rolling out from the eves of the house.
The smell of wood burning and plastic melting.
The sound of windows being broke so the fire men could try to aid.
(The fire department was there at 10:00am and the fire was contained at 10:12am!)
I turned and saw four little faces looking out the window. Four little faces that I still have in my life. Four little faces that I kiss every night, giving thanks for safety.
The house, it's just a house! The stuff in the house, it just that, stuff.
My family! I still have with me. For that I give thanks.
The cause of the fire? The electric baseboard heater in the bathroom. This heater had a blower that came on when the thermostat was turned on. We didn't use this heater because it got too hot. We noticed this when we first moved into the house. Our intent was to change that, one day. Little hands turned the heater on that day. That is all I know. I don't care who, what , when , where, or why! I just know that we are blessed! The Lord has blessed us more than I could ever imagine.
Can you imagine, I have a Part 2! I can't wait to share with you all that the Lord has done from this trial!