Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Fire Story ~ Part 1

The day started like any other. The kids woke and were hungry. In their words, STARVING! That day I decided to make them their favorite breakfast, baked oatmeal. All was well. It was a great morning. The kids were listening. Eager to start school. Z was practicing piano. Monkey boy was on the computer working on phonics. L and ladybug were kind of roaming.
At 9:45 L came into the dining room, where we have school, and said, "Mommy there's a fire in the bathroom." I didn't jump right away. I just looked at him, making sure I heard correct. He looked at me, eyes wide, "Mommy you have to go see the fire in the bathroom!" All said in a calm manner.
A fire? There wasn't a candle burning in the bathroom? A fire?
As I turned the corner, I saw the orange- yellow glow. A fire? What were the kids doing? Playing with matches? No, we don't have matches. I looked behind the door. A FIRE!!!! On the clothes, going up the wall. I quickly tried to smother it out, using a blanket that we got as a wedding gift. It was the closest thing. That didn't work.
A fire extinguisher! We have one! Try figuring out how to use one in the middle of a fire! ( I now know that it was faulty anyway)
WATER! Duh! I get a bowl and go to the kitchen sink filling the bowl with water. There is water in the bathroom! I'll just get it there. By the time I went to the bathroom with the water, the fire was crawling up the wall and was now dancing on the ceiling. The bowl dropped to the floor. I scooped ladybug into my arms.
I need to call 911, where is my phone!? I can't find my phone!
We all ran outside! Shoeless, coat less! Running to safety. I ran to the neighbor who called 911 for me. I was beside myself. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to act. I was shocked.
We all went to another neighbors as everyone started to gather at the house. The kids were safe inside, warming. I was outside on the porch watching. Something I'll never forget.
Black smoking rolling out from the eves of the house.
The smell of wood burning and plastic melting.
The sound of windows being broke so the fire men could try to aid.
(The fire department was there at 10:00am and the fire was contained at 10:12am!)
I turned and saw four little faces looking out the window. Four little faces that I still have in my life. Four little faces that I kiss every night, giving thanks for safety.
The house, it's just a house! The stuff in the house, it just that, stuff.
My family! I still have with me. For that I give thanks.

The cause of the fire? The electric baseboard heater in the bathroom. This heater had a blower that came on when the thermostat was turned on. We didn't use this heater because it got too hot. We noticed this when we first moved into the house. Our intent was to change that, one day. Little hands turned the heater on that day. That is all I know. I don't care who, what , when , where, or why! I just know that we are blessed! The Lord has blessed us more than I could ever imagine.

Can you imagine, I have a Part 2! I can't wait to share with you all that the Lord has done from this trial!

13 comments:

  1. Wow. I had tears reading it. So glad everyone was safe!

    Have you heard the song "This ain't nothing" by Craig Morgan? That song popped in my head as I read this.

    I can't wait to read part 2, I love to see how God uses our trials to make great things happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration of grace and courage, hugs beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm bawling right now. It's truly amazing to see how God is using this trial in your life. You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine! Praise the LORD for your safety! For those little faces looking out at your from the safety of a neighbors house - that they were safe. I can't wait to hear part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you all are okay! Can't wait to hear the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, good for you for not waiting or continue trying to put the fire out. I would've done the same thing!

    It's so surreal, I'm sure. I am soo thankful for God's protection over all of you. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea that you are so positive in all of this amazes me. I'm happy that you and your family are safe and you remain closer than ever!

    This is about the fifth run in today about trusting in the Lord. On this same day, I've been doubting the Lord's existence. I'm seeing a pattern and perhaps a sign that yes, he is actually out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just so glad that you guys are safe and okay. So very glad!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a fire years ago... God made a way.... Can't wait for part 2.

    Hugs,
    Teena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you have an amazing perspective. It must still be so hard to lose all your things in the fire but praise God your children are still in your arms! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AUGH! I had no idea! I just came to your blog from FB, since something wasn't sounding right with your comments. I will be praying for you during this time. So glad that you are in the hands of our Almighty Father.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry sorry this happened, but so thankful that God protected you and your family. He had you all in his hands that day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! How scary and horrible. I'm so glad that you were able to feel God's protection during such an awful time.

    ReplyDelete